Lara Kretler’s blog

PRogress not PRfection

Lara Kretler’s blog Columbus Ohio

Social Media for Social Good

May 19th, 2009 · 11 Comments

Now is GoneYesterday afternoon, I attended a small, private blogger meet-up at The Columbus Foundation with special guest Geoff Livingston. I was honored to be invited as I’ve been a fan of Geoff’s blog, his book Now is Gone, and his work in the social media space for a long time. It was a great event – just as billed, it was a very informal conversation about the intersection between social networking and philanthropy.

It was exciting to be in a room with such smart people sharing ideas about how we can use our blogs and social media networks – aka our “powers” – for good to help nonprofits, support charitable causes and affect real change. We learned that Geoff and the folks at the Columbus Foundation have  been working together on a study about social media for social causes, with full results being released later this spring.

Fellow blogger Shane Haggerty did a great job summing up the afternoon. Many of us also Tweeted as the discussion progressed, so you can find some key insights at the Tweetstream for hashtag #TCF. In fact, the Columbus Foundation was the number three trending topic among Twitter users in Columbus yesterday, as tracked by Happn.in, a Twitter trend aggregator that shows you what people are buzzing about in your particular city.

I can’t lie that in the days leading up to this event, I felt a great amount of pride for our fair city. Forget the coasts – our own little Columbus, Ohio is really making its mark as a social media epicenter with top national bloggers and social media pros coming to visit us. First Central Ohio PRSA brought Brian Solis to town, now the Columbus Foundation reveals it has a terrific partnership with Geoff Livingston, and next month the Ohio Growth Summit event brings Chris Brogan to Columbus as keynote speaker. There’s lots going on in social media in this town, and I’m happy to be part of it.

While we’re thinking about using social media for social good, here are a couple of good resources:

So you tell me – what’s your favorite cause, social media related or not? Have you thought about how you can use social media to affect change?

If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to my blog via RSS feed or email.

Tags: Blogging · Networking · Ohio · PR · social media

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jim Coe // May 19, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Sing it loudly, Lara. Columbus becomes more livable daily. And not just among social media adherants. Last Saturday 45,000 pairs of pods pounded the pavement pinkishly for a cause, in addition to the several other well-attended fundraisers and sales.

• 2 Lara K // May 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Jim, how did you know that I love alliteration? That may be my favorite blog comment ever. Thanks!

• 3 It depends but there Is No Social Media Kit, anyway « Fredzimny’s CCCCC Blog // May 20, 2009 at 9:59 am

[...] Social Media for Social Good (larakretler.com) [...]

• 4 Nick Fellers // May 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm

L – Great to meet you on Mon. I’m still intrigued by division of room (twitter dead v. twitter in infancy).

twitter @forimpact

• 5 Geoff Livingston // May 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm

I hope we can do it again soon, Lara. Great meeting you finally. Thanks for the great write up.

• 6 Lara K // May 22, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Nick and Geoff, thanks for the visit to my blog. I look forward to future conversations.

• 7 Leo Bottary // May 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Great post Lara, with some helpful resource material as well. Years ago, I was a founding board member for a homeless center. Your post has inspired me to think about how I can re-engage on its behalf using social media as a primary tool given that I’m no longer living in that community anymore. Thanks!

• 8 Debra // Oct 26, 2009 at 11:47 am

Hi Lara – it was great to meet you at the Llama trek. I am almost done w/the photos.

They are having a ‘Dreaming Ohio Green’ potluck at BlueRock the day after Thanksgiving – looking over your post it seems that social networking could be a big part of this process :)

• 9 mostalo // Oct 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm

nice post and check this site: http://games-movies.blogspot.com/
    it the best for get free softwares

• 10 Arvydas // Apr 15, 2011 at 6:59 am

condom size chart

• 11 Andu // Apr 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

I wish I could track my friend’s cell phone msgs. I guess they talk about me behind my back. lol. Maybe someday I would be able to do that. Is this cell phone tracking online software any good? I am planning to buy it.